311 E. Main Street, Durham, NC 27701 Info@MarcusHillAttorney.com

Phone: 919-688-1941


Community Education






http://www.immdefense.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/IDP-ICE-Raids-Flyer-ENG-Jan-27-2017.pdf (Facebook also)






Hang this on your door to remember key rights and details if ICE enters your home



Making Changes to the North Carolina Birth Certificate

Many immigrants in North Carolina have had trouble getting a father’s name included on a child’s birth certificate if parents are not married at the time of the child’s conception and birth. Some fathers either weren’t aware of the procedure to get their name on the birth certificate at the hospital, or faced obstacles like a lack of ID that prevented them from getting on their child’s birth certificate.

How can I get my child’s birth certificate changed if the father’s name is missing?

Parents can amend their children’s birth certificate to add the father’s name by either coming in person to the state’s Vital Records office in Raleigh, or mail in a notarized “Affidavit of Parentage.” See specific information below on each process. The “Affidavit of Parentage” process is only available where both parents agree that the change should be made to the birth certificate adding the father. If the mother is not present, cannot be located, or does not agree to the change, then the Affidavit of Parentage process cannot be used. If the mother does not agree to the change, the father should consult a family law attorney, and will have to get a court order to get the birth certificate changed. Also, if the mother was married to someone other than the biological father at the time of the child’s birth, a court order must be obtained to add the biological father to the birth certificate, and the parents should consult a family law attorney.

How much does it cost to amend my child’s birth certificate and receive a copy?

There is no charge to amend a birth certificate to include a father’s name, but there is a charge of $39.00 to get a copy of the birth certificate if you request the certificate in person in the Vital Records office and need a copy same-day. The cost is $24.00 if you request a copy of the birth certificate by mail. The money must be paid by certified check or money order.

How Do I Get My Child’s Birth Certificate Changed in Person at the Vital Records Office?

The state Vital Records office will change a birth certificate in person by appointment Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
  • Call 919-733-3526 for an appointment
  • Both parents should go to the appointment, and bring a photo identification with them.
  • The Vital Records office accepts government-issued IDs from the United States, and foreign passports. They do not accept consular ID documents (matricula consular).
  • The Vital Records office in Raleigh is a state office, and is open to parents in any county who wish to make an appointment there.

Parents can also have a child’s birth certificate amended at the county Register of Deeds office in the county where the birth of the child occurred. Call your local Register of Deeds office to find out what their hours and appointment procedures are.

How Do I Change My Child’s Birth Certificate via Mail?

To mail in the request, print out a copy of two different forms.
  1. The “Request to Amend A Record,”  (http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/documents/Request_Amend_Record.pdf)
  2. The “Affidavit of Parentage,” (http://www.nccourts.org/Forms/Documents/266.pdf)

Fill out the Affidavit of Parents in front of a notary public who knows the couple, or accepts passports, matriculas, or other foreign, government-issued identification. Both signatures from the mother and the father must be notarized.  The section asking for social security numbers of the parents can be left blank.

If desired, include request for a copy of the birth certificate. The form requesting a copy of the birth certificate is found here: http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/documents/bcertificatapp.pdf.  If birth certificate is requested, include certified check or money order for $24.00, or $15.00 for each additional copy you need.  Mail to:

Standard Mail: Overnight Mail (FedEx, etc.):
N.C. Vital Records
Attn: Angela Moss
1903 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1903
N.C. Vital Records
Attn: Angela Moss
225 N. McDowell St.
Raleigh, NC 27603-1382

How Long Will It Take To Receive My Corrected Birth Certificate?

Just receiving a regular copy of your child’s birth certificate via mail may take five weeks or longer. Requests for amending the birth certificate by mail may take even longer than that. If you need the birth certificate changed in a speedier fashion, you should make an appointment to have it done at the state Vital Records office in Raleigh, which will cost an additional $15 (total of $39.00).

What kind of access is available for those who don’t speak English?

There are no staff speaking any language other than English at the Vital Records office in Raleigh. If you make an appointment, bring an English speaker with you who can interpret for you.

The Affidavit of Parentage form is available in Spanish, here: http://www.nccourts.org/Forms/Documents/1480.pdf.   You can also visit the Marcus Hill Spanish version of this page by clicking here.    However, you cannot fill out the version in Spanish and mail it in. You can use the Spanish version as a guide to understand the form in English, but the one that you send to the Vital Records office must be filled out and completed in English. The form is not available in any languages other than Spanish or English.



How may deferred action for childhood arrivals or “DACA” be expanded as Obama proposed in 2014?

  1. There will be no age cap.
  2. The eligibility date should be moved from June 15, 2007, to January 1, 2010.
  3. The deferred action and EAD will be for 3 years, instead of 2.

What can potential expanded “DACA” applicants do now?

  1. Gather documents to satisfy education, date of entry and continuous residence requirements.
  2. If there is any criminal record, get documents so that potential impact on eligibility may be assessed.
  3. Save money for fee.
  4. Do not travel abroad.

North Caroline Justice Info:  Access to Health Care